Kor Timor, meaning “the color of Timor”, was established in 2006. The company focuses on developing creative products made of Tais in addition to fashion and shoe items. Kor Timor has a future vision to promote Tais and other products made of Tais as a distinctive world-class cultural produce of Timor.
Kor Timor has been providing guidance and support to the emancipation and independence of women in Timor-Leste across 9 municipal regions.
Weavers partnering with Kor Timor amount to approximately 54 people of over 40 years of age in average. In the meantime, those working in Dili workshops consist of 19 weavers and 4 quality controllers. The workshop in Dili is intended for wholesales, while another shop and kiosk at Timor Plaza are targeted at retail sales.
In addition to the above social acts, Kor Timor is also focusing on:
1. Environmentally friendly recycled products
2. Supporting local weavers in the diversification of Tais products
3. Providing job opportunities for the residents of Timor-Leste, especially the young people
4. A fair trade system
With its upper-middle segmentation, 70% of buyers of Kor Timor comprise foreign Tourists (mainly Australians), and locals in the remaining 30%. To reach a broader market, Kor Timor has also taken part in overseas exhibitions, such as:
- The 2013 exhibition in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- The 2014 exhibition in Melbourne, Australia
- The 2015 exhibition in New Mexico, US
Kor Timor routinely exports around 100 boxes of Tais made of recycled material to Melbourne, Australia every month. Other importers come from Canberra, Australia, who order recycled Tais commodities several times a year.
Most domestic orders come from Timor-Leste’s government institutions such as MCIA, the Ministry of Women, the Ministry of Social Affairs, and the Ministry of Arts and Culture. The supplies are then used as souvenirs for important visitors to the
Kor Timor manufactures 60% contemporary Tais and 40% classical Tais. They are also capable of producing fine Tais ribbons of supreme quality with a width of 1.5 cm for overseas markets; which is done manually by weavers in Oecussi.
The challenges often faced by Kor Timor in this matter include copyright infringement and the intense competition with other Tais enterpreneurs that manufacture similar products.